See Figure 1
- Start the engine and shift into R . If the transaxle goes into gear, no adjustment is required.
- If adjustment is required, stop the engine and remove the center console as required to access the cable lock pin. On Vigor and 1991-93 Legend, it is to the rear of the shift lever. On all other models it is in front of the lever.
- Shift the transaxle into:
- Remove the locking pin from the cable and check the alignment of the hole in the adjuster with the hole in the cable end.
- Loosen the locknut and turn the adjuster as required to align the holes perfectly. Install the lockpin and test again.
See Figure 2
Perform the following checks:
- Make sure the throttle cable free-play is correct; it should be 0.39-0.47 in. (10-12mm).
- The engine is operating at normal operating temperatures; the cooling fan turns ON .
- The idle speed is correct.
- While working the throttle cable by hand, remove the cable free-play.
- Apply light thumb pressure to the throttle control lever and work the accelerator or throttle linkage; the lever should move as the engine speed increases above idle, if not, adjust the cable.
- Loosen the control cable nuts at the transaxle, synchronize the control lever to the throttle and tighten the locknuts.
To tailor the shift/lock-up characteristics to the driving expectations, adjust the control cable up to 3mm shorter than the synchronized point.