A preliminary check of the vacuum booster can be made as follows:
- Depress the brake pedal several times using normal pressure; make sure the pedal height does not vary.
- Hold the pedal in the depressed position and start the engine. The pedal should drop slightly.
- Hold the pedal in the above position and stop the engine. The pedal should stay in the depressed position for approximately 30 seconds.
- If the pedal does not drop when the engine is started or rises after the engine is stopped, the booster is not functioning properly.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the master cylinder.
- Remove the vacuum hose connection. On the Vigor, disconnect the throttle cable clamp and throttle cable from the booster.
- On the Integra GS-R, adjust the alternator up against the engine. Remove the 6mm bolts holding the power steering lines to the left frame.
- Remove the brake pedal clevis pin and the mounting nuts. Remove the brake booster.
Adjust the pushrod length to:
1986-89 Integra: 4.6 in. (116 mm)
- Install the brake booster and torque the mounting nuts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm). Grease the clevis pin and install a new cotter pin.
- On the Vigor, install the throttle cable. On the Integra GS-R, install the bolts and adjust the alternator.
- Install the master cylinder and bleed the system. Connect the vacuum hose.