REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5
- Relieve the fuel pressure.
- On Vigor and 1991-93 Legend remove the engine harness cover.
- Label and disconnect the electrical harnesses from the injectors.
- Place a rag below the fuel pressure regulator. Disconnect the vacuum hose and disconnect the fuel line. Plug the fuel line to prevent spillage and the entry of dirt.
- Disconnect the fuel hose from the fuel rail.
- Remove the nuts holding the fuel pipe (rail) and the wiring harness.
- Remove the fuel rail from the injectors, leaving the injectors in the manifold.
- Remove each injector and remove the seal ring from each manifold port.
- Remove the cushion ring and O-ring from each injector.
- Install new cushion rings on each injector. Install new O-rings on each injector and coat the O-rings with a light coat of clean, thin oil.
- Install the injectors into the fuel pipe. Make certain the O-rings seat properly and do not distort.
- Coat new seal rings with a light coat of clean, thin oil and install the rings into the manifold.
- Install the fuel rail and injectors to the intake manifold. Make certain the mounting insulators are present on the mounting bolts before installing the fuel rail.
Assembling each injector into the rail off the engine prevents damage to the O-rings. Handle the rail and injector assembly carefully when reinstalling to the manifold. Don't drop an injector or bang the tips.
- With all injectors seated in the manifold, align the center mark on each injector electrical connector with the mark on the fuel rail.
- Install the fuel rail retaining nuts and tighten them evenly to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm). Make certain the wiring harness is retained in its clips.
- Connect the vacuum hose and fuel hose to the regulator.
- Connect the fuel line to the fuel rail.
- Install the connectors to the injectors.
- Switch the ignition ON but do not engage the starter. The fuel pump should run for approximately 2 seconds, building pressure within the lines. Switch the ignition OFF , then ON 2 or 3 more times to build full system pressure. Check the work area for fuel leaks.
- Install the engine harness covers or intake manifold covers if they were removed.