The headlight switch, dimmer switch, wiper/washer switch and the turn signal switch are all incorporated into the same assembly. On some vehicles, the individual switches can be removed from the combination switch. Otherwise the combination switch must be replaced as a complete unit.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the column covers and disconnect the wiring. If equipped with cruise control, remove the slip ring.
- On 1986-89 models, remove the screws and remove the combination switch.
- On 1990-93 models, remove the screws and slide the switch out to the side.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
WITHOUT AIR BAG
- Remove the negative cable from the battery.
- Remove the dashboard lower panel and disconnect the 6-pin and 8-pin connectors from the wiper control unit on the lower panel.
- Disconnect the 10-pin connector from the wiper/washer switch.
- Remove the steering wheel, the steering column lower cover and disconnect the 6-pin connector from the winter position switch.
- Remove the upper cover from the steering column.
- Remove the screws and slide the wiper/washer switch out of the housing.
- To install, reverse the removal procedures.
Some vehicles are equipped with an air bag supplemental restraint system. It will be necessary to remove the air bag assembly in order to remove the combination switch. Read the precautions and procedure at the beginning of this Section.
- Disconnect both the negative and positive battery cables from the battery.
- Remove the lower maintenance lid below the air bag and then remove the short connector.
- Disconnect the connector between the air bag and the cable reel.
- Connect the short connector to the air bag side of the connector.
- Remove the left side maintenance lid and the cruise control/set resume switch cover.
- Insert a T30 Torx® bit and remove the Torx® bolts. Remove the air bag assembly and place it in an out of the way area, such as the back seat, pad side up.
- Remove the dashboard lower panel and disconnect the 6-pin connector from the wiper position switch and the 6-pin and 8-pin connectors from the wiper control unit on the lower panel.
- Remove the left knee bolster. Disconnect the combination switch connectors.
- Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.
- Remove the lighting and wiper switch mounting screws and remove the switches.
Reverse the removal procedures. Be sure to pay attention to the following:
- Be sure to install the air bag wiring so it is not pinched or interfering with other parts. Be sure the battery cables are disconnected.
- After installing the air bag assembly, connect the battery and turn the ignition switch to the ON position. The instrument panel air bag light should go on for approximately 8 seconds and then go off.
- Confirm operations of horn buttons and cruise control set/resume switch.