REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
- Replace the shoes if the lining is less than 0.039 in. (1.0mm).
- Replace the disc/drum if the diameter is greater than 6.732 in. (171.0mm).
- Remove the tension pins and the return springs. Lower the assembly and disconnect the parking brake cable.
- Separate the shoes by removing the adjuster and springs. Remove the brake lever for installation on the new shoe.
- Install the parking brake lever on the new shoe and squeeze the clip fully into the groove.
- Apply grease to the sliding surfaces. Do not get grease on the friction material.
- Install the springs and the adjuster. The adjuster threads must be clean and coated with grease.
- Install the parking brake cable and the shoes in place. Install the tension pins and the return springs.
- If the rear hub was removed, torque the nut to 206 ft. lbs. (285 Nm). Install the disc/drum.
- Use tape to hold in the parking brake lever button and install a spring scale to the center of the handle.
- Drive for 1 / 4 mile with the lever pulled with 19.8 lbs. (9 kg) of force at 30 mph. Park the car and allow the drums to cool. Repeat the procedure. Adjust the parking brake.