REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle. Remove the wheels.
- Remove the caliper dust shield, if equipped. Disconnect the parking brake cable from the caliper arm. Disconnect the brake line from the caliper if replacing the caliper. The brake line does not have to be disconnected if the caliper is not being replaced.
- Remove the caliper mounting bolts and pull the caliper off the bracket. 4.
- Remove the pads, shim and pad retainer spring. Clean all points where the shoes and shim touch the caliper and mount. Apply a thin film of silicone grease to the cleaned areas before installation.
- Remove the caliper bracket mounting bolts and remove the bracket.
- Install the caliper bracket. Torque the mounting bolts to 28 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Install the caliper and torque the mounting bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- Except for the 1991-93 Legend, lubricate the piston dust boot with silicone grease. Rotate the piston clockwise to retract. Make sure the boot does not get twisted. Align the groove with the projection on the pad. On the 1991-93 Legend, press the piston back into the bore.
- Install the pads and shims.
- Connect the brake hose with new crush washers and torque the banjo bolt to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm). Install the parking brake cable and the dust shield. Depress the brake pedal until the pads are seated against the rotor.
See Figures 6 through 16
This procedure is for calipers that include a parking brake feature. The 1991-93 Legend uses a caliper that does not incorporate a parking brake. This caliper is rebuilt using the same techniques as the front caliper.
- Remove the caliper from the vehicle and wash with alcohol to remove all dirt.
- Remove the pad spring from the inner bridge. Rotate the piston out of the bore and remove the dust boot.
- Remove the seal with a non-metallic tool. Do not damage the piston or housing bore.
- Install the brake spring compressor and lower the shaft until it just touches the plate. Rotate the tool 1 / 4 - 1 / 2 turn, at most, and remove the snapring after tightening the locknuts. Loosen the shaft to remove the compressor and the adjusting bolt.
- Remove the sleeve piston and components. Remove the parking brake components.
- Clean all components and discard the old seals. Pack the needle bearings with brake assembly lube. Coat all seals with brake assembly lube.
- Install the parking brake components. Install the return spring and the pin in the cam.
- Install a new O-ring on the sleeve piston and install the piston with the pins aligned with the holes.
- Install a new cup with brake assembly lube and with the groove facing the bearing side of the adjusting bolt. Install the adjusting bolt and components.
- Install the spring compressor and compress the spring so the snapring can be replaced. Install the snapring and check that it is completely seated.
- Install the new piston seal and dust boot. Lubricate the piston with brake fluid and rotate the piston into the housing.
- Install the pad spring into the upper bridge. Install the pads and caliper.