REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle. Remove the wheels.
- Remove the caliper dust shield, if equipped. On the Vigor and 1986-89 Integra, disconnect the parking brake cable from the caliper arm.
- Except for the 1991-93 Legend, remove the caliper mounting bolts and pull the caliper off the bracket. On the 1991-93 Legend, remove the lower caliper mounting bolt and swing the caliper up.
- Remove the pads, shim and pad retainer spring. Clean all points where the shoes and shim touch the caliper and mount. Apply a thin film of silicone grease to the cleaned areas.
- Except for the 1991-93 Legend, lubricate the piston dust boot with silicone grease. Rotate the piston clockwise to retract. Make sure the boot does not get twisted. Align the groove with the projection on the pad. On the 1991-93 Legend, press the piston back into the bore.
- Install the pads and shims.
- Install the caliper on the bracket and torque the bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm). Install the parking brake cable and the dust shield. Depress the brake pedal until the pads are seated against the rotor.
See Figures 8 and 9
- Remove the brake pads and measure the thickness of the brake lining.
- The thickness should be greater than 0.06 in. (1.6mm).
- Inspect the pad retainers for a tight fit.
- If the pads are worn unevenly, there may be a problem with the caliper. If the inside pad is worn more than the outside pad, the caliper may be sticking on the slides. If both pads on one side of the car are worn more than the other side, the side with the unworn pads may have a sticking caliper piston.