REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the steering wheel center pad. Remove the steering wheel shaft nut.
- Remove the steering wheel by rocking it slightly from side to side and pull steadily with both hands.
- Remove the right and left lower instrument panel covers. Remove the front console.
- Remove the driver's side knee bolster from the steering hanger. Remove the steering joint cover.
- Remove the steering joint bolts and move the joint toward the steering column. Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.
- Disconnect each wire coupler from the combination switch. Remove the turn signal canceling sleeve and combination switch assembly.
- Disconnect each wire coupler from the fuse box under the left side of the dash.
- Remove the steering column holder. Remove the attaching nuts and bolts, then remove the steering column assembly.
- Install the column in the vehicle. Torque the steering column support bracket bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm) and the nuts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm). Torque the lower bolt on the steering joint to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm). If equipped with a tilt steering column, use the following procedures.
- Install the 10mm washer on the tilt lever assembly.
- Install the bending plate base on the steering column. Insert the tilt lever assembly shaft into the hole in the bending plate base.
- Install the spin stopper on the shaft. Be sure to apply grease to each sliding surface.
- Install the stopper collar over the spin stopper. Install the column hanger spring.
- Torque the tilt locknut to 5 ft. lbs. (7 Nm) and slide the stopper collar to the tilt locknut side.
The tilt lock has left hand threads. If the stopper collar cannot be moved, turn the tilt locknut counterclockwise.
- Pull the tilt lever knob upward and measure the lever preload at 1.38 in. (35.0mm) from the tip of the knob. The lever preload should be 20 lbs.
- If the preload is out of specifications, adjust it by sliding the stopper collar to the spin stopper side and turning the tilt locknut one turn right or left.
- Slide the stopper collar to the tilt locknut side.
- Install the stopper clip between the spin stopper collar and tighten with a 3mm screw.
- Install the upper column holder and bending plate on the steering column with the rubber bands. Install the bending plate with the arrow toward the gearbox.
- Install the bending plate guide on the steering column. Loosely install the steering joint on the steering shaft.
- To finish the installation process, reverse the order of the removal procedure. Be sure to make the adjustment that must be performed on the tilt steering column after installation. The adjustment is as follows:
- Install the adjustment guide tool on the top end of the steering shaft and turn it as far as it will go.
- Loosely install the upper column holder and bending plate guide attaching bolts and pull the column down to be sure the bending plate is seated snugly against the hook.
- Loosely install the lower bracket and pull the column down so there is no clearance between the bending plate and hook.
- Tighten the upper column holder nuts to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm). Tighten the lower bracket bolts 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Tighten the bending plate guide bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm). Connect the steering joint to the pinion and install and hand tighten the steering joint bolt.
- Put the steering joint down and tighten the steering joint bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm). Make sure the end adjustment guide bottoms against the turn signal switch as shown.
- Install the column cover, column boot and dashboard lower panel.
A special tilt steering column adjustment guide tool 07973-6920001 or equivalent, will be needed to perform the following adjustment.
Legend & Vigor
See Figures 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect both the negative and positive battery cables from the battery.
- Remove the lower maintenance lid below the airbag and then remove the short connector.
- Disconnect the connector between the airbag and the cable reel.
- Connect the short connector to the airbag side of the connector.
- Remove the left side maintenance lid and the cruise control/set resume switch cover.
- Insert a T30 Torx® bit and remove the Torx® bolts. Remove the airbag assembly.
Be sure to store the airbag in a safe place with the pad side facing upwards.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut. Gently hit the backside of each of the steering wheel spokes with equal force with the palms of the hands. Avoid hitting the wheel or the shaft with excessive force. Damage to the shaft could result.
- Remove the upper and lower steering column covers, the driver's side knee bolster and the yoke joint cover at the base of the column.
- Unplug the wiring connectors on the underside of the column. Remove the screws to remove the cable reel and combination switch.
- Remove the rear steering column holder. Remove the steering column mounting nuts.
- Remove the steering yoke joint bolts and disconnect the yoke joint, then remove the column assembly.
- Install the column and connect the yoke joint. Make sure the wiring is not pinched and that the yoke joint moves smoothly.
- Install the cable reel and combination switch and connect all the wiring.
- Center the cable reel, by rotating the cable reel clockwise until it stops. Then rotate it counterclockwise (approximately 2 turns) until the yellow gear tooth lines up with the mark on the cover. The arrow on the cable reel label points straight up.
- Before installing the steering wheel, the front wheels should be aligned straight forward.
- After reassembly confirm that the wheels are still straight ahead and that the steering wheel spoke angle is correct. If minor spoke angle adjustment is necessary, do so only by adjustment of the tie rods, not by removing and repositioning the steering wheel.
- After installation, connect the battery and make sure everything works properly before installing the airbag assembly. Disconnect the battery to install the airbag, then connect the battery with on one in the vehicle.
- Turn the ignition switch ON ; the instrument panel SRS light should turn ON for about 8 seconds and turn OFF .