REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Place the steering wheel in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Lift off the steering wheel pad.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut and the horn pad.
- If equipped with cruise control, remove or disconnect the cruise control set/resume switch.
- Gently rock the steering wheel from side to side and gently hit the backside of each of the steering wheel spokes with equal force from the palms of your hands. Then pull the steering wheel off of the shaft. Avoid hitting the wheel or the shaft with excessive force or the shaft will be damaged.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the steering wheel nut to 36 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Disconnect both the negative and positive battery cables from the battery.
- Remove the lower maintenance lid below the airbag and then remove the short connector.
- Disconnect the connector between the airbag and the cable reel.
- Connect the short connector to the airbag side of the connector.
- Remove the left side maintenance lid and the cruise control/set resume switch cover.
- Insert a T30 Torx® bit and remove the Torx® bolts. Remove the airbag assembly.
Be sure to store the airbag in a safe place with the pad side facing upwards.
- Remove the steering wheel retaining nut. Gently hit the backside of each of the steering wheel spokes with equal force with the palms of the hands. Avoid hitting the wheel or the shaft with excessive force or the shaft will be damaged.
- Before installing the steering wheel, the front wheels should be aligned straight forward.
- Center the cable reel by rotating the cable reel clockwise until it stops. Then rotate it counterclockwise (approximately 2 turns) until the yellow gear tooth lines up with the mark on the cover. The arrow on the cable reel label points straight up.
- Make sure the wires are not pinched or interfering with other parts when installing the wheel. Install the steering wheel and torque the nut to 36 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- After reassembly confirm that the wheels are still straight ahead and that the steering wheel spoke angle is correct. If minor spoke angle adjustment is necessary, do so only by adjustment of the tie rods, not by removing and repositioning the steering wheel.
- Using new Torx® screws, torque the airbag to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm). This torque is critical to proper operation of the airbag. Connect the airbag wiring harness and then the battery.
- After installation, turn the ignition switch ON ; the instrument panel SRS light should turn ON for about 8 seconds and turn OFF .
- Check operation of the horn and the cruise control switches.