REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The ABS accumulator is a pneumatic type which stores high pressure brake fluid which is fed from the pump assembly. As the ABS operates, the accumulator works in conjunction with the pump to supply extremely high pressure fluid to the modulator valve.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- To remove the accumulator you must first remove the pump assembly, as outlined later in this section.
- Place the pump assembly in a vise and loosen the accumulator by turning it counter clockwise with an open-end wrench.
See Figure 2
- The pressure in the accumulator must be released before disposing of it in the trash.
To relieve the accumulator pressure, perform the following:
- Secure the accumulator in a vise.
See Figure 3
- Slowly turn the plug three to four turns.
- Allow five minutes for the pressure to escape.
- Completely remove the relief plug from the accumulator.
- Discard the accumulator.
- Install the accumulator assembly in the reverse order of the removal procedure.