REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The Antilock Brake Systems (ABS) pump assembly consists of a piston rod and cylinder body, guide, filter, and a motor. Brake fluid is pressurized and fed to a relief valve, the accumulator and modulator unit. The system pump will run until the pressure in the accumulator has reached 3,271 psi (23,000 kPa). If the pump runs continuously and the pressure still has not reached the predescribed value, the ABS controller will stop the pump motor and trigger the ABS lamp on the dash to indicate a problem. There will also be a code stored in the controllers memory.
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Relieve the ABS system pressure, as outlined in this section.
- On the 3.5RL, remove the modulator unit.
- Remove the pump motor.
- Replace the pump motor with a new one. Do not install a used part.
- Install the new pump into the modulator unit.
- If removed, install the modulator unit.
- Connect the negative battery cable.