REMOVAL & INSTALLATION 1.8L engine
To inspect the belt from the top you can gain access by removing only the valve cover.
- Remove the negative battery cable.
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the splash shield from the wheel well.
- Remove the power steering pump by loosening the adjusting bolts and removing the mounting bolts.
- Loosen the adjusting and idler pulley bracket bolt to free the belt.
- Loosen the adjusting nut and then the mounting nuts to allow the alternator belt to be removed.
- If equipped, remove the cruise control actuator.
- Remove the side engine mount bolts, then remove the mount.
- Remove the valve cover (this is the upper timing belt cover).
- Remove the crankshaft dampener bolt.
- Remove the crankshaft dampener; this will allow access to the lower timing belt cover.
- Remove the fasteners and remove the lower timing belt cover.
Be careful when removing the crankshaft damper bolt. Excessive force may snap or strip the bolt.
- The middle timing cover can be removed by unbolting the two fasteners.
See Figure 3
- Install the components in the reverse order of the removal procedure.
- Connect the negative battery cable.