This relay is located behind the dashboard's lower cover. It consists of two individual relays. One is energized whenever the ignition is ON , thus supplying battery voltage to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). This relay also supplies voltage to the fuel injectors, and power to the second relay. The second relay is energized for two seconds, when the engine is turned ON , to power the fuel pump.
See Figure 1
If the engine starts and continues to run, the PGM-FI relay is working and does not need to be replaced.
See Figure 2
- Remove the relay.
- Apply battery voltage to the number three terminal.
- Ground the number two terminal.
- Check for continuity between terminals five and two.
- If continuity is detected, proceed to the step 7.
- If there is no continuity, replace the relay.
- Connect the number four terminal to the positive side of the battery.
- Ground the number two terminal of the relay.
- Check for continuity between the number five terminal and the number two terminal of the relay.
- If there is continuity, the relay checks out "OK". If the fuel pump still does not work, test the harness.
- If there is no continuity, replace the relay and retest.