REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Place a suitable drain pan under the vehicle, then disconnect the power steering hoses from the pump to drain the fluid.
- Remove the belt by loosening the pump adjusting bolts and mounting bolts.
- On the 3.5RL, Legend or Vigor, remove the air cleaner cover and air intake duct.
- Cover the alternator (Integra, 2.2CL 2.3CL) or the crankshaft pulley (3.0CL 3.2TL) with some rags to protect it from any spilled power steering fluid.
- Disconnect and plug the inlet and outlet hoses from the pump.
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Unfasten the pump mounting bolt(s), then remove the pump from the vehicle.
- Cover the opening of the pump with a piece of tape to prevent any foreign material from entering the pump.
- If you are replacing the pump and need to transfer the pulley, hold the steering pump in a suitable soft-jawed vise, hold the pulley with a suitable universal pulley holding tool, then remove the pulley nut and pulley/
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Bleed the power steering system.
- Lift the power steering reservoir off of its mount. Disconnect the return hose from the steering rack at the reservoir. Immediately plug the reservoir inlet to prevent fluid loss and contamination. Don't disconnect the hose that connects the pump to the reservoir.
- Insert a length of rubber tubing into the return hose and route the tubing into a drain container.
- With the engine running at idle, turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times until fluid stops running out of the hose. Immediately shut the engine OFF .
See Figure 5
- After servicing, reconnect the reservoir return line. Fill the reservoir to the upper line with genuine Honda power steering fluid.
- Run the engine at idle and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times to bleed air from the system and fill the rack valve body.
- Recheck the fluid level and add more if necessary. Don't overfill the reservoir.
- Check the power steering system for leaks.
- Lower the vehicle.
See Figure 6