REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disable the SRS, as outlined in CHASSIS ELECTRICAL of this guide.
- If not already done, disconnect the negative, then the positive battery cables.
- Remove the connector between the air bag and the cable reel.
- Remove the bolts that hold the air bag module to the steering wheel.
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Remove the air bag assembly, holding it away from you in case of accidental deployment.
- Detach the connectors for the horn.
- If equipped, unplug the cruise control connector.
- Unfasten the steering wheel nut.
- Remove the steering wheel by rocking it slowly from side to side while pulling steadily with both hands.
See Figure 5
- Before installing the steering wheel, center the cable reel by pointing the arrow up. This can be done by rotating the cable reel clockwise until it stops. Then rotate the cable reel about two turns counterclockwise.
- Install the steering wheel and make sure the wheel shaft engages the cable reel and canceling sleeve.
See Figure 6
- Attach all wires and harnesses.
- Install the air bag assembly using new bolts.
- Install all covers.
- Connect the positive cable first and then the negative. Refer to CHASSIS ELECTRICAL for more information on enabling the air bag system.
- After installation, confirm normal system operation and that all controls are working.