Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Negative battery cable
Install or connect the following:
Use either a JCI or Bear ARBST tester, and follow the manufacturer's procedures. If you don't have one of these computerized testers, follow this conventional test procedure:
- Be sure the temperature of the electrolyte is between 70°F (21°C) and 100°F (38°C).
Inspect the battery case for cracks or leaks:
- If the case is damaged, replace the battery. n
- If the case looks OK, go to step 3.
Check the indicator EYE:
- If the EYE indicates the battery is charged, go to step 4.
- If the EYE indicates a low charge, go to step 7.
- Apply a 300 amp load for 15 seconds to remove the surface charge.
- Wait 15 seconds, then apply a test load of 280 amps for 15 seconds.
Record battery voltage:
- If voltage is above 9.6 volts, the battery is OK. n
- If voltage is below 9.6 volts, go to step 7.
Charge the battery on High (40 amps) until the EYE shows the battery is charged, plus an additional 30 minutes. If the battery charge is very low, it may be necessary to bypass the charger's polarity protection circuitry:
- If the EYE indicates the battery is charged within three hours, the battery is OK. n
- If the EYE indicates the battery is not charged within three hours, replace the battery. n