Removal & Installation
Refer to the accompanying illustration for throttle body removal and installation
NOTEDo not adjust the throttle stop screw.
After installation, adjust the cruise control cable, as follows:
- Check that the actuator cable (A) moves smoothly with no binding or sticking.
Measure the amount of movement of the output linkage (B) until the engine speed starts to increase. At first, the output linkage should be located at the fully closed position (C). The free play (D) should be 0.13-0.17 in. (3.7-3.8mm).
If the free play is not within specs, move the cable to the point where the engine speed starts to increase, and tighten the locknut (A) and adjusting nut (B).
Turn the adjusting nut (A) until it is 0.13-0.17 in. (3.7-3.8mm) away from the bracket (B).
Pull the cable so that the adjusting nut (A) touches the bracket, and tighten the locknut (B).
After installation, adjust the throttle cable, as follows:
Hold the throttle link (A) to the throttle lever (B).There should be no clearance.
- Check cable free play at the throttle linkage. Cable deflection (A) should be 3 / 8 - 1 / 2 in. (10-12mm).
If deflection is not within specs, loosen the locknut (B), turn the adjusting nut (C) until the deflection is as specified, then retighten the locknut.
With the cable properly adjusted, check the throttle valve to be sure it opens fully when you push the accelerator pedal to the floor. Also check the throttle valve to be sure it returns to the idle position whenever you release the accelerator pedal.
NOTEThe Throttle Position (TP) sensor is not removable or adjustable.
- Hold the throttle link (A) to the throttle lever (B).There should be no clearance.
- Connect the HDS while the engine is stopped.
- Select the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS.
- Do the TP POSITION CHECK in the ETCS TEST.
- Disconnect the MAP sensor connector (A).
- Remove the intake air duct.
- Disconnect the throttle body connector (B).
- Disconnect the water bypass hoses (C), and plug the water bypass hoses.
- Remove the throttle body (D).
Clean the throttle body and intake manifold surface.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Make sure to use a new gasket (E). Tighten the throttle body mounting bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
NOTEThe idle learn procedure must be done so the PCM can learn the engine idle characteristics. Perform the idle learn procedure whenever you do any of these actions: Replace PCM, Reset PCM, Update PCM or Replace or clean the throttle body.
Perform the PCM idle learn procedure, as follows:
NOTEErasing DTCs with the HDS does not require you to do the idle learn procedure.
- Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear window defogger, lights, etc.) are off.
- Reset the PCM with the HDS.
- Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait 2 seconds.
- Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194 ºF (90 ºC).
Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
NOTEIf the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.
- Refill the engine with coolant.