Removal & Installation
- Remove the engine drive belt.
Use the Harmonic Balancer Holder J 38122-A, or equivalent., to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while loosening the crankshaft balancer bolt.
- Remove the crankshaft balancer bolt. Discard the bolt.
- Remove the crankshaft balancer.
- Install the crankshaft balancer.
- Install a NEW crankshaft balancer bolt.
- Use the Harmonic Balancer Holder to prevent the crankshaft from rotating while tightening the crankshaft balancer bolt. Tighten the bolt to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) plus an additional 75 degree rotation.
- Install the engine drive belt.
A crankshaft balancer holder is required along with a puller to remove and install the damper.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the drive belt.
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
- If necessary, remove the front wheel, right splash shield and transaxle converter cover.
- Retain the crankshaft while loosening the crankshaft damper bolt and washer.
Remove the damper (balancer) and key using a puller.
- Lubricate the front seal and sealing surface of the damper with chassis grease.
- Place the balancer onto the crankshaft indexing keyway. Tap into place using a rubber or sand filled mallet.
Install the bolt and washer. Use a retailing tool to keep the crankshaft from turning. Tighten the damper bolt to proper torque specifications.
NOTEDo not use a torque angle meter to rotate the retaining bolt the additional 90°. The torque capacity of the tool will be exceeded and damage to the tool will result.
- On the 2.4L engine, tighten the bolt to specification while using the holding tool to prevent the crankshaft from turning. Place marks on the socket next to one to four marks on the tool. This mark will represent the zero point. Tighten the bolt by rotating the socket clockwise 90°. At the 90°, the socket indexes with the next mark on the tool.
- Install all remaining components.
- Perform the CKP Learn Procedure, using an OBD-II compliant scan tool.
- Remove the drive belt.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the right front tire and wheel.
- Remove the right engine splash shield.
- Install a utility stand beneath the frame right side rail in order to support the frame/powertrain.
- Remove the two frame RIGHT side bolts.
Use the utility stand to lower the frame in order to provide access to the crankshaft balancer.
NOTEThe inertial weight section of the crankshaft balancer is assembled to the hub with a rubber type material. The correct installation procedures (with the proper tool) must be followed or movement of the inertial weight section of the hub will destroy the tuning of the crankshaft balancer.
- Remove the crankshaft balancer retaining bolt and washer.
Remove the crankshaft balancer using the Crankshaft Balancer Puller, Special Tool No. J 24420-C, or equivalent.
- Clean and inspect the crankshaft balancer.
- Apply sealer GM P/N United States 12345739, Canadian P/N 10953541 or the equivalent to the keyway of the crankshaft balancer.
Place the crankshaft balancer into position over the key in the crankshaft. Install Crankshaft Balancer Installer Special Tool No. J 29113, or equivalent onto the crankshaft.
- Pull the crankshaft balancer into position.
- Remove the installer tool from the crankshaft balancer.
Install the crankshaft balancer washer and bolt. Tighten as follows:
- Step 1: Tighten to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm)
- Step 2: Tighten an additional 72 degrees
- Use the utility stand in order to raise the frame/powertrain.
- Install new frame right side bolts.
- Install the right engine splash shield.
- Install the right front tire and wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the drive belt.