Removal & Installation
On flywheel removal, it may be necessary to obtain these appropriate to perform the job:
Torque angle meter-J 36660 or equivalentHarmonic balancer retainer-J 38122 or equivalent
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the transaxle assembly, refer to the Section 7 of this manual for details.
If equipped, remove the splash shield.
NOTETo assure proper balance during reassembly, matchmark the relationship of the pressure plate assembly to the flywheel
- If equipped with a manual transaxle, remove the clutch and pressure plate. Mark the relationship of the cover assembly to the flywheel to assure proper balance during reassembly.
Using a harmonic balance retaining tool J 38122 or equivalent, secure the crankshaft, then unfasten the flywheel mounting bolts. Remove the flywheel and spacer (if equipped).
- Remove all thread adhesive from the bolts and from the holes before installation.
- Apply locking type adhesive to all of the flywheel-to-crankshaft mounting bolts.
The remaining installation steps are the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the flywheel bolts in stages to the following specifications:
2.2L engines: 39 ft. lbs. (53 Nm) plus an additional 25° turn
- Connect the negative battery cable.