Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
- Drill a 1 / 8 in. pilot hole in the center of each of the 3 ball joint mounting rivets.
- Using a 1 / 2 in. drill bit, drill the heads off the rivets.
- With a hammer and punch, knock the rivets out of the control arm. Remove the sway bar link kit.
- Pull the control arm down so the ball stud clears the steering knuckle. Slide the ball joint out of the control arm.
- Position the new ball joint into the lower control arm and install the bolts. The nuts must be on top of the control arm. Tighten the mounting bolts to the specification provided with the ball joint service kit.
Connect the ball joint to the steering knuckle and torque the castle nut to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm) on 2002-04 models, or 48 ft. lbs. (60 Nm) on 2004-05 models.
NOTEIf necessary to align the cotter pin holes tighten the nut up to 60 degree ( 1 / 6 ) turn additional rotation. NEVER loosen the nut to make the holes align.
Install or connect the following:
New cotter pin