Brake Burnishing Procedure
Nissan Altima 2009-2010
Burnish contact surfaces between disc rotors and pads according to following procedure after refinishing or replacing rotors, after replacing pads, or if a soft pedal occurs at very low mileage.
- Drive vehicle on straight, flat road.
- Depress brake pedal with the power to stop vehicle within 3 to 5 seconds until the vehicle stops.
- Drive without depressing brake for a few minutes to cool the brake.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 until pad and disc rotor are securely fitted.
Removal & Installation
Nissan Altima 2007-2008
- Raise and safely support vehicle and remove front wheels.
- Remove lower sliding pin bolt.
- Remove caliper and hang from body with a wire. Do not let the cylinder hang by the hose.
Remove pads, shims and pad retainers from torque member.
WARNINGWhen removing pad retainer from torque member, lift pad retainer in the direction shown by arrow, so as not to deform it.
Apply Molykote M-77 grease or equivalent to the shims. Install shims to pads.
WARNINGSecurely install shims according to mounting direction of pads.
Apply grease to pad contact surface on pad retainers. Install pad retainers and pads to the torque member.
WARNINGWhen installing pad retainer, attach it firmly so that it is not lifted up from torque member.
- Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir because fluid level will rise when pressing piston in.
- Use a disc brake piston tool (commercial service tool) to easily press to piston in.
- Install cylinder body to torque member.
- Install lower sliding pin bolt (lower side), and tighten it to 20 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Pump the brake pedal and check the master cylinder reservoir. Add fluid if necessary.
Nissan Altima 2009-2010
- Remove the front wheel and tires.
Remove lower sliding pin bolt.
Hang caliper with a suitable wire, and remove pads, pad retainers, shims, and shim cover from torque member.
CAUTIONWhen removing the pad retainer from the torque member, lift it in the direction indicated by the arrow as shown so that it does not deform.
- Apply Molykote M-77 grease or equivalent between the outer shim cover and shim; and the inner multilayered shim and inner pad. Install outer shim, outer shim cover to outer pad, and inner multilayered shim to inner pad.
Apply Molykote 7439 grease or equivalent between pad retainers and pad ends. Install pad retainers and pads on torque member.
CAUTIONSecurely assemble pad retainers so that they are not being lifted up from torque member. Both inner and outer pads have a pad return system on the pad retainer. Install pad return lever securely to pad wear sensor.
Install caliper over assembled pads on to the torque member.
CAUTIONWhen replacing a pad with new one, check brake fluid level in the reservoir tank because brake fluid returns to master cylinder reservoir tank when pressing in the piston.
NOTEUse a disc brake piston tool (commercial service tool) to easily press in the piston.
- Install lower sliding pin bolt, and tighten it to the specified torque.
- Check front disc brake for drag.
- Install the front wheel and tires.