Removal & Installation
Nissan Altima 2007-2008
- Raise and safely support vehicle and remove front wheels.
- Remove brake rotor and brake caliper without disconnecting hydraulic line. Hang caliper from body with wire.
- Remove cotter pin, then loosen halfshaft lock nut. Temporarily leave the nut installed to prevent damage to threads.
Separate the halfshaft from the wheel hub and bearing assembly by tapping the end of the shaft using a hammer and brass drift or wood block, then remove hub lock nut.
NOTEUse a suitable puller if hub and shaft cannot be separated using the above procedure.
- Loosen tie rod nut and disengage tie rod from steering knuckle with a ball joint separator. Be careful not to damage the boot.
- Remove the nut and separate tie rod from steering knuckle.
- Remove lower ball joint pinch bolt from steering knuckle.
- Remove nuts and bolts and remove steering knuckle from strut assembly.
- Fit steering knuckle to strut and install bolts finger tight.
- Fit halfshaft into hub and install nut finger tight.
Fit ball joint into steering knuckle:
Torque the bolt to 46 ft. lbs. (63 Nm).
- Fit tie rod end into steering knuckle. Torque nut to 25 ft. lbs. (35 Nm) and tighten as needed to install a new cotter pin.
- Torque halfshaft nut to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm) and install a new cotter pin.
- Install remaining components and check wheel alignment.
Nissan Altima 2009-2010
Refer to Wheel Hub, Steering Knuckle & Bearing (sealed unit) Section for Removal and Installation of the Steering Knuckle.