Nissan Altima 2007-2008
Fuel will be spilled when removing fuel pump assembly if the tank is full. If the fuel gauge indicates more than ( 7 / 8 full), drain at least 3 1 / 8 gallons (12L) from the fuel tank.
- Check fuel level with the vehicle on a level surface. If the fuel gauge indicates more than ( 7 / 8 full), drain at least 3 1 / 8 gallons (12L) from the fuel tank .
- Siphon fuel from fuel tank if necessary.
- Open fuel door and unscrew the fuel filler cap to release the pressure inside the fuel tank.
- Release the fuel pressure.
- Remove rear seat bottom.
- Turn the three retainers 90° in a counterclockwise direction and remove the fuel pump inspection hole cover.
- Disconnect wiring and fuel feed hoses. To keep the connectors clean and to avoid damage, cover them completely with plastic bags or something similar. Do not insert plugs to prevent damage to O-ring.
- On Altima, disconnect the parking brake cables.
- Remove fuel tank protector.
Loosen fuel filler hose clamp and remove fuel filler hose.
WARNINGDo not remove fuel filler hose from fuel filler tube. Mark components for alignment.
- Support center of fuel tank with transmission jack.
- Remove fuel tank bands. If they are not marked -R- and -L,- mark them now.
Lower transmission jack carefully to remove fuel tank while supporting it by hand.
WARNINGFuel tank may be in an unstable position because of the shape of fuel tank bottom. Be sure to support tank securely.
- Secure tank on a transmission jack and carefully raise it into position
- Fit the fuel tank bands (marked -R- and -L-) and tighten the bolts to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- Connect the filler and vent hoses and tighten the clamps.
- Connect remaining tubes, wiring and fuel lines.
- With some fuel in the tank, turn the ignition switch ON to pressurize the system and check for leaks.
- Install remaining components.
Nissan Altima 2009-2010
- Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
- Check the fuel level with the vehicle on a level surface. If the fuel gauge indicates more than the level (7/8 full), drain the fuel from the fuel tank until the fuel gauge indicates a level at or below (7/8 full).
In case the fuel pump does not operate, use the following procedure.
- Insert fuel tubing of less than 0.98 inches (25 mm) diameter into the fuel filler tube through the fuel filler opening to drain fuel from the fuel filler tube.
- Disconnect the fuel filler hose from the fuel filler tube.
- Insert fuel tubing into the fuel tank through the fuel filler hose to drain fuel from the fuel tank.
- As a guide, the fuel level reaches or is less than the level on the fuel gauge as shown, when approximately 2 5 / 8 US gal. (10L) of fuel is drained from a full fuel tank.
- Open the fuel filler cap to release the pressure inside the fuel tank.
- Release fuel pressure from fuel line.
- Remove rear seat bottom.
Turn the four retainers 90° in a clockwise direction and remove the fuel pump inspection hole cover.
Disconnect the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly electrical connector, EVAP hose quick connector, and the fuel feed hose quick connector from the fuel level sensor unit, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly.
Disconnect the quick connectors as follows:
- Hold the sides of the connector, push in tabs and pull out the tube.
If the connector and the tube are stuck together, push and pull several times until they start to move. Then disconnect them by pulling.
The tube can be removed when the tabs are completely depressed. Do not twist it more than necessary.
- Remove the center exhaust tube, with muffler(s).
- Disconnect the fuel filler hose and the recirculation hose at the fuel tank side.
- Disconnect the three parking brake cable mounting brackets on each cable and position the cables out of the way.
- Remove the fuel tank protector.
- Disconnect the fuel tank mounting straps while supporting the fuel tank.
- Remove the fuel tank.
- If replacing the fuel tank, remove the fuel level sensor, fuel filter and fuel pump assembly to transfer to the new fuel tank.
- Install in the reverse order of removal paying attention to the following.
- Before tightening the fuel tank mounting straps, temporarily install the filler hose and the recirculation hose.
- Tighten all fuel tank mounting strap bolts to specification, then tighten the hose clamps.
Connect the quick connector as follows:
- Check the connection for damage or any foreign materials.
- Align the connector with the tube, then insert the connector straight into the tube until a click is heard.
After the tube is connected, make sure the connection is secure by performing the following checks:
- Pull on the tube and the connector to make sure they are securely connected.
- Visually confirm that the two retainer tabs are connected to the quick connector.
Use the following procedure to check for fuel leaks.
- Turn the ignition switch ON (without starting the engine). Then check the connections for fuel leaks by applying fuel pressure to the fuel piping.
- Run the engine and check for fuel leaks at the fuel system tube and hose connections.