Removal & Installation
Nissan Altima 2007-2008
- Open fuel door and unscrew the fuel filler cap to release the pressure inside the fuel tank.
- Release fuel system pressure.
- Remove rear seat bottom.
- Turn the three cover retainers 90° in counterclockwise and remove the fuel pump inspection hole cover.
- Disconnect the wiring and fuel hose quick connectors. To remove the quick connector, hold the sides of the connector, push in the tabs and pull the tube straight out. The tube can be removed only when the tabs are completely depressed. Do not twist or use any tools.
To keep the connectors clean and to avoid damage, cover them completely with plastic bags or something similar. Do not insert plugs to prevent damage to O-ring.
Remove the locking ring using the correct tool and carefully lift the pump/filter/sending unit out of the tank. Take care not to bend the float arm.
NOTEOn Altima, the lock ring and lock ring seal must be replaced.
- Carefully fit the fuel pump assembly into the tank. Make sure to fit a new lock ring and seal.
- Reconnect the hoses and wiring.
- Connect the battery and turn the ignition switch ON three or four times to run the pump, pressurize the system and check for leaks.
Nissan Altima 2009-2010
- Unscrew the fuel filler cap to release the pressure inside the fuel tank.
- Release the fuel pressure from the fuel lines.
- Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
- Remove the rear seat bottom.
Turn the four retainers 90° in a clockwise direction and remove the fuel pump inspection hole cover.
Disconnect the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly electrical connector, EVAP hose quick connector, and the fuel feed hose quick connector from the fuel level sensor unit, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly.
Remove the quick connector as follows:
- Hold the sides of the connector, push in tabs and pull out the tube.
If the connector and the tube are stuck together, push and pull several times until they start to move. Then disconnect them by pulling.
The tube can be removed when the tabs are completely depressed. Do not twist it more than necessary.
Remove the lock ring using a socket drive handle and Tool KV991J0090 (J-46214) as shown.
CAUTIONDiscard the lock ring, do not reuse the lock ring. Discard the ring seal, do not reuse the ring seal.
Remove the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly.
CAUTIONDo not bend the float arm during removal. Discard the ring seal, do not reuse the ring seal.
- Inspect the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump for any defects and foreign materials. Replace as necessary.
- Installation is in the reverse order of removal.
- Install the fuel level sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump assembly with the fuel feed hose facing the front of the vehicle as shown. Use a new ring seal.
Connect the quick connector as follows:
- Check the connection for damage or any foreign materials.
- Align the connector with the tube, then insert the connector straight into the tube until a click is heard.
After the tube is connected, make sure the connection is secure by performing the following checks:
- Pull the tube and the connector to make sure they are securely connected.
- Visually confirm that the two retainer tabs are connected to the quick connector.
- Turn the ignition switch to ON (without starting the engine) to apply fuel pressure to the fuel system, then check the connections for fuel leaks.
- Start the engine and let it idle and check for fuel leaks at the fuel system connections.