Nissan Altima 2007-2008
- Raise and safely support the vehicle and remove the front wheels.
- Remove the engine undercover.
- Remove the bolt from the lower steering shaft joint.
- At the tie rod ends, remove the cotter pin and loosen the nut. Do not remove it yet.
- Use a ball joint separator to disengage the tie rod end from the steering knuckle. Be careful not to damage the boot.
- Remove the nut to disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle.
- Disconnect the hydraulic lines and drain the power steering fluid.
- Remove the hydraulic piping bracket from front suspension member.
- Disconnect the wiring from the steering gear.
Remove the bolts and nuts and remove the steering gear assembly from the vehicle.
- Make sure the steering rack is in the neutral position
- When fitting the steering gear into place, align cover cap projection (A) with the mark (B) on the housing. Install slit part of lower joint (C) aligned with the same mark. Don-t install the joint bolt yet.
- Install the steering gear mounting bolts and nuts and torque to 114 ft. lbs. (155 Nm).
- Install the steering shaft bolt and torque to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Connect the wiring and hydraulic lines.
- Attach the tie rod ends to the steering knuckles. Torque the nuts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm), then tighten as required to install a new cotter pin.
- Refill and bleed the system.
Nissan Altima 2007-2008
- Remove tires and wheels.
- Remove engine undercover.
- Remove stabilizer bar connecting rods from struts and reposition stabilizer bar.
- Remove front exhaust tube.
Remove lower side bolt of lower steering joint.
- Remove cotter pin and then loosen the nut.
Remove steering outer socket from steering knuckle so as not to damage ball joint boot using Tool HT72520000 (J-25730-A) as shown.
CAUTIONTemporarily tighten the nut to prevent damage to threads and to prevent the Tool from suddenly coming off.
Disconnect EPS torque sensor harness connector, EPS motor angle sensor harness connector and EPS motor power line connector from the steering gear.
NOTEFor EPS motor power line connector, perform the following;
- Pull lock plate up until it stops.
- Turn the lock lever until it stops.
- Pull EPS motor power line connector to disconnect it.
- Remove ground bracket and harness bracket on steering gear.
- Remove bolts and nuts of steering gear assembly, and then remove steering gear assembly from vehicle.
- Check for damage to steering gear. If any exist, replace steering gear as an assembly.
Installation is the reverse order of removal.
CAUTIONAfter connecting the EPS motor power line connector, make sure the connector is locked.
When installing lower joint to steering gear assembly, follow the procedure listed below.
Set rack of steering gear in the neutral position.
NOTETo get the neutral position of rack, turn gear-sub assembly and measure the distance of inner socket, and then measure the intermediate position of the distance.
- Install slit part of lower shaft assembly joint aligning with the marking position of steering gear assembly input shaft. Make sure that the slit part of lower joint is aligned with the marking position of gear housing assembly input shaft.
- Set rack of steering gear in the neutral position.
- Perform final tightening of nuts and bolts on each part under unladen conditions with tires on level ground when removing steering gear assembly. Check wheel alignment.
- Make sure that steering wheel operates smoothly by turning several times from full left stop to full right stop.