Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- With vehicle in neutral, position it on a hoist.
- Position a lift under axle and secure lift to axle.
- Remove brake components from the axle.
- Remove wheel speed sensors.
- Remove vent hose from the axle shaft tube.
- Remove the propeller shaft.
- Remove the stabilizer bar clamps bolts from the axle.
Remove the watts link bell crank bolt from differential cover.
- Remove shock absorbers from axle bracket.
- Remove upper control arms from axle brackets.
- Lower axle and remove coil springs and spring isolators.
- Remove lower control arms from axle brackets.
- Lower axle and remove from vehicle.
- Raise the axle and align lower control arms. Install control arm bolts loose at this time.
- Install the coil springs.
Raise axle and align upper control arms. Install control arm bolts loose at this time.
NOTEThe bell crank bolt has a Loctite patch, a new bolt should be used. If a new bolt is not available, clean the bolt and apply Loctite 242® to the threads.
- Install watts link bell crank bolt and tighten to 160 ft. lbs. (217 Nm).
- Install shock absorbers and tighten the nuts to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm).
- Install the parking brake and brake components.
- Install the wheel speed sensors.
- Install the axle vent hose.
- Install the stabilizer bar and center it with equal spacing on both sides. Tighten bolts to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Install the propeller shaft.
- With the vehicle on the ground, tighten the upper control arm bolts to 125 ft. lbs. (170 Nm). Tighten the lower control arm nuts to 170 ft. lbs. (230 Nm).