Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the brake caliper and rotor.
- Disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle.
- Separate the lower ball joint from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the steering knuckle.
- Move the halfshaft to the side and support the halfshaft out of the way (4WD only).
Chisel out the ball joint stakes.
NOTEExtreme pressure lubrication must be used on the threaded portions of the tool. This will increase the longevity of the tool and insure proper operation during the removal and installation process.
Press the ball joint from the lower control arm using special tools C-4212-F (press), 9331-1 (driver) and 9331-2 (receiver).
- Install the ball joint into the control arm and press in using special tools C-4212-F (press), 9331-1 (receiver) and 9331-3 (driver).
- Stake the ball joint flange in four evenly spaced places around the ball joint flange, using a chisel and hammer.
- Remove the support for the halfshaft and install into position (4WD only).
- Install the steering knuckle.
- Install the tie rod end into the steering knuckle.
- Install and tighten the halfshaft nut to 185 ft. lbs. (251 Nm).
- Install the brake caliper and rotor.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Check the vehicle ride height.
- Perform a wheel alignment.