Removal & Installation
Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
NOTEThe left and right side torsion bars are NOT interchangeable. The bars are identified and stamped R or L, for right or left. The bars do not have a front or rear end and can be installed with either end facing forward.
- Raise and support the vehicle with the front suspension hanging.
Remove the transfer case skid plate.
NOTECount and record the number of turns for installation reference.
- Mark the adjustment bolt setting.
- Install Special Tool 8686 or equivalent to the anchor arm and the cross member.
- Increase the tension on the anchor arm tool 8686 or equivalent until the load is removed from the adjustment bolt and the adjuster nut.
- Turn the adjustment bolt counterclockwise to remove the bolt and the adjuster nut.
Remove the Special Tool 8686 or equivalent, allowing the torsion bar to unload.
- Insert torsion bar ends into anchor and suspension arm.
- Position the anchor in the crossmember frame.
- Install Special Tool 8686 or equivalent to the anchor and the crossmember.
- Increase the tension on the anchor in order to load the torsion bar.
- Install the adjustment bolt and the adjuster nut.
- Turn adjustment bolt clockwise the recorded amount of turns.
- Remove tool 8686 or equivalent from the torsion bar crossmember.
- Install the transfer case skid plate.
- Lower vehicle and adjust the front suspension height.
- Perform a wheel alignment.