- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Siphon out as much power steering fluid as possible from the pump.
- Lock the steering wheel.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the front tires.
- Remove the nuts from the tie rod ends.
- Separate tie rod ends from the knuckles.
- Remove the steering gear pinch bolt.
- Remove the lower steering coupling from the steering gear.
- Turn the steering gear to the full right position.
- Remove the exhaust Y-pipe (3.7L & 4.7L engines only).
- Remove the power steering lines from the gear.
- Remove the front crossmember.
- Remove the steering gear mounting bolts, washers and nuts.
- Tip the gear forward to allow clearance and move to the right then tip the gear downward on the left side to remove from the vehicle.
Before installing gear inspect the bushings and replace if worn or damaged, also use new gear mounting bolts and nuts.
- Install gear to the vehicle and tighten mounting nuts and bolts to 190 ft. lbs. (258 Nm).
- Install power steering lines to steering gear and tighten the pressure hose to 28 ft. lbs. (38 Nm) and tighten the return hose to 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm).
- Slide the shaft coupler onto gear. Install new bolt and tighten to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Clean tie rod end studs and knuckle tapers.
- Install tie rod ends into the steering knuckles and tighten the nuts to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Install the Y-pipe (3.7L & 4.7L engines only).
- Install the front crossmember.
- Install the front tires.
- Remove the support and lower the vehicle.
- Unlock the steering wheel.
- Fill system with fluid.
- Adjust the toe position.