Removal & Installation
The engine assembly is removed from the bottom of the vehicle. A special engine lifting table is necessary to perform the following procedure.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Discharge the air conditioning refrigerant.
- Drain the coolant.
- Drain the crankcase.
- Disconnect the battery cables.
- Remove engine cover.
- Remove battery.
- Remove air intake assembly
- Disconnect throttle cable and the cruise control cable (if equipped) from the throttle body.
- Disconnect air conditioning lines at the condenser and accumulator.
- Remove radiator.
- Remove power steering reservoir and drain the fluid.
- Disconnect lines from the Hydroboost®unit.
- Remove master cylinder from the Hydroboost®unit and secure it to the oil fill tube.
- Separate steering shaft from the steering gear.
- Disconnect heater hoses and vacuum lines from the engine.
Remove fuse box and wiring harness from the bulkhead connector.
NOTEThe engine/transmission assembly is removed from the bottom of the vehicle. Raise the vehicle so the rear of the vehicle is slightly higher than the front. When the frame bolts are removed, the body will be lifted away from the engine/transmission assembly.
- Remove driveshaft. Matchmark it for reassembly prior to removal.
- Remove starter and the starter opening cover.
- Remove torque converter bolts through the starter opening.
- Disconnect shift linkage from the transmission.
- Remove exhaust pipe from the rear of the catalytic converter.
- Remove parking brake bracket from the frame.
- Disconnect rear brake line from the Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV).
- Remove front bumper and the power steering cooler from the front air deflector.
- Remove Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) connector.
- Remove splash shields from the wheel openings.
- Remove rear air conditioning lines at the rear crossmember, if equipped, leave the lines attached to the engine assembly.
- Disconnect fuel lines at the filter and pull them through the crossmember.
- Disconnect fuel tank electrical connector.
- Remove transfer case vent tube, on all wheel drive models.
- Make sure all lines and connections are free between the engine/transmission assembly and the body.
If using a twin post lift (side lift), perform the following:
- Step 1: Lower the vehicle to the floor.
Step 2: Install the Body Protection Lift Adapter tool J 41602 pads to the pinch welds on both sides of the vehicle behind the front wheels.
- Step 3: Position the front lifting arms of the lift under the body protection adapters.
- Step 4: Be sure the rear of the vehicle will be slightly higher than the front when the lift is raised.
- Step 5: Raise the lift about halfway up.
- Step 6: Place jackstands under the frame attached to the engine/transmission assembly and remove the frame mounting bolts.
- Step 7: Raise the vehicle to clear the engine/transmission assembly.
If using a dual cylinder (1 front and 1 rear) lift do the following:
- Step 1: Install the Body Protection Lift Adapter tool J 41602 pads to the pinch welds on both sides of the vehicle behind the front wheels.
- Step 2: Install stands under the body protection lift adapters and the rear of the vehicle.
Step 3: Lower the front cylinder of the lift and install the Engine Lifting Adapter tool J 41617 to the lift.
- Step 4: Raise the front cylinder with the adapter attached until it touches the engine/transmission assembly.
- Step 5: Remove the frame bolts and lower the engine/transmission assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the 2 right rear and 2 left front intake manifold bolts.
Install the Engine Lifting Bracket tools J 41427 on the intake manifold to provide lifting points for an engine hoist. Install the hoist and raise the engine/transmission assembly.
- Remove transmission from the engine.
- Remove engine from the frame.
- Install engine onto the frame and the transmission to the engine. Tighten the engine mount through-bolts to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm).
- Install engine/transmission assembly on suitable stands or on the engine lifting adapter.
- Remove the engine lifting brackets from the intake manifold and reinstall the bolts.
Position the engine/transmission assembly in the vehicle. Tighten the frame bolts in the following order:
- Step 1: Right center bolt: 114 ft. lbs. (155 Nm).
- Step 2: Left center bolt: 114 ft. lbs. (155 Nm).
- Step 3: Right front bolt: 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Step 4: Left rear bolt: 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Step 5: Left front bolt: 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Step 6: Right rear bolt: 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Remove the stands or the engine lifting adapter. If the engine lifting adapter was used, raise the vehicle and remove the stands.