Removal & Installation
Please note that the transmission assembly and transfer case, if equipped, must be removed to perform this procedure.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect negative battery cable.
- Remove transfer case, if equipped.
- Remove transmission.
Remove clutch assembly/flywheel or flexplate.
- Remove the crankshaft rear oil seal by inserting a suitable prying tool into the notches provided in the seal retainer and prying the seal out. Take care not to damage the crankshaft sealing surface.
- Inspect the crankshaft for grit, rust or burrs and correct as necessary.
- Clean the running surface of the crankshaft with a non-abrasive cleaner.
- Install new rear seal lubricated with engine oil and a seal installer.
- Install flywheel and clutch or flexplate.
- Install transmission.
- Install transfer case, if equipped.
- Connect negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and verify no oil leaks.