- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the front cover from the engine.
- Rotate the crankshaft until the No. 4 cylinder is on the Top Dead Center (TDC) of its compression stroke and the camshaft sprocket mark aligns with the mark on the crankshaft sprocket (facing each other at a point closest together in their travel) and in line with the shaft centers.
Remove crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor reluctor ring, if equipped.
- Remove camshaft sprocket-to-camshaft nut and/or bolts.
Remove camshaft sprocket (along with the timing chain). If the sprocket is difficult to remove, use a plastic mallet to bump the sprocket from the camshaft.
NOTEThe camshaft sprocket (located by a dowel) is lightly pressed onto the camshaft and should come off easily. The chain comes off with the camshaft sprocket.
- If necessary use J-5825-A crankshaft sprocket removal tool to free the timing sprocket from the crankshaft.
- If necessary, remove the crankshaft sprocket key.
Inspect the timing chain and the timing sprockets for wear or damage, replace the damaged parts as necessary.
- Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces. Using solvent, clean the oil and grease from the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Install crankshaft sprocket key, if removed.
Install crankshaft sprocket onto the crankshaft using J-5590 crankshaft sprocket installation tool and a hammer without disturbing the position of the engine.
NOTEDuring installation, coat the thrust surfaces lightly with Molykote® or an equivalent pre-lube.
- Install timing chain over the camshaft sprocket. Arrange the camshaft sprocket in such a way that the timing marks will align between the shaft centers and the camshaft locating dowel will enter the dowel hole in the cam sprocket.
- Install timing chain under the crankshaft sprocket, then place the cam sprocket, with the chain still mounted over it, in position on the front of the camshaft.
- Tighten camshaft sprocket-to-camshaft retainers to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- With the timing chain installed, turn the crankshaft two complete revolutions, then check to make certain that the timing marks are in correct alignment between the shaft centers.
- Install CKP sensor reluctor ring, if equipped.
- Install timing cover.