- Properly disarm the SIR (air bag) system, then disconnect the negative battery cable. For details on disarming the air bag system, please refer to the Chassis Electrical section of this manual. The disarming procedure can be found in the General Information section.
Remove the SIR inflator module from the steering wheel:
- Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to access the rear shroud hole for the inflator module.
- Carefully insert a screwdriver and push the leaf spring to release the pin.
- Turn the wheel 180 degrees to access the remaining rear shroud holes.
- Again, insert the screwdriver and push the leaf spring to release the pin.
- Tilt the module rearward from the top in order to access the wiring.
- Disconnect the lead wire from the clip on the inflator module and from the clip on the steering wheel.
- Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) retainer from the module connector, then disengage the wiring.
Carefully remove the inflator module and position it aside in a safe place. MAKE SURE THE MODULE IS FACING UPWARD to leave space for air bag inflation should the unlikely event of an accidental deployment occur.
NOTEALWAYS be very cautious when handling a live (undeployed) SIR module. Always leave room for air bag expansion should a deployment occur. This means it should always be placed face up, without ANYTHING on top of it. You should also carry it facing away from you for the same reason.
- Loosen and remove the steering wheel retaining nut.
- If applicable, remove the horn plunger contact.
- Matchmark the relationship of the wheel to the steering shaft. This is necessary to assure proper alignment upon installation.
Remove the wheel from the shaft using a suitable threaded steering wheel puller such as J-1859-A or equivalent.
- Slide the wheel onto the shaft splines while aligning the matchmarks made earlier. DO NOT misalign the wheel more than 1 in. (25mm) from the horizontal centerline.
- If applicable, install the horn plunger contact.
- Install the steering wheel retaining nut and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
Install the SIR inflator module
- Position the module at the steering wheel, then engage the SIR connector and install the CPA retainer.
- Secure the SIR lead wire to the clips on the steering wheel and the module.
- Install the module to the steering wheel by pressing it firmly into the wheel until all 4 notched pins are engaged in the leaf springs. DO NOT pinch the wires during this.
- Make sure the ignition is OFF , then connect the negative battery cable.
- Properly arm the SIR system.