The thermostat is located at the front of the intake manifold.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
Place a catch pan under the radiator, open the drain cock and drain the cooling system to a level below the thermostat housing.
CAUTIONWhen draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Remove the thermostat housing-to-engine bolts or bolt and stud, as applicable,
- Separate the housing from the manifold and carefully remove the thermostat.
Using a plastic scraper, clean the gasket mounting surfaces.
- Tighten the thermostat housing-to-engine bolts or bolt and nut to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Connect the battery cable, the properly refill and bleed the cooling system.
- Run the engine and check for leaks.