Removal & Installation
On A4 and 1998-00 Passat models, the front tone rings are part of the outer CV-joints and not available as a separate part. If the tone ring must be replaced, the outer CV-joint must be replaced. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Drive Train, Halfshaft, CV-Joint and Boot OverhaulRear
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the rear brake disc assembly.
- Using a suitable brass punch, drive the tone ring off the rotor by tapping it from side to side from the inside of the hub where the wheel bearing races are located.
- Carefully press the tone ring onto the inside of the brake rotor making sure it is fully seated.
- The balance of the installation is in reverse order of removal.