Removal & Installation
The voltage regulator is attached to the rear of the alternator and includes the brushes. Since no adjustment can be performed on the regulator, it is serviced only by replacement.
- Note the radio code, and then disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If the back of the alternator is not easily accessible, remove the alternator as necessary.
- If equipped, remove the cover on the back of the alternator.
- It is not necessary to disconnect any wiring. Remove the mounting screws and remove the regulator.
- Measure the free length of the brushes. If they are less than about 3 / 16 inch (5mm) long, the regulator must be replaced. New brushes are 1 / 2 inch (12mm) long.
- Install the new regulator and tighten the screws.
- The balance of assembly is in reverse order of removal.