Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disarm the air bag system and remove the air bag unit.
- Place the air bag in a safe area facing up.
- Pull out the adjustable steering column as far as possible and set the lowest position.
- Remove the 3 Phillips screws from the lower steering column trim located in the recessed holes.
- Carefully remove the upper steering column trim.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors for the air bag spiral spring unit and the horn.
- Turn the steering wheel until the wheels are facing forward and center the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering wheel mounting fastener.
- Use a suitable chisel to mark the position of the steering wheel to the splined steering shaft and remove the wheel.
- Remove the electrical connectors, then the combination switch retaining screws. Carefully remove the switch from the steering column.
Do NOT move the spiral spring assembly once the steering wheel has been removed.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- Install the combination switch and connect the wiring.
- Align the marks made for the steering wheel-to-column position and install the steering wheel. Replace and tighten the fastener to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- On Audi models, using new fasteners, install the air bag and tighten the fasteners to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- On Passat models press the air bag unit inward until both lugs lock over the spring clips.