Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disarm the air bag system and remove the air bag unit.
- Place the air bag in a safe area facing up.
- Pull out the adjustable steering column as far as possible and set the lowest position.
- Remove the 3 Phillips screws from the lower steering column trim located in the recessed holes.
- Carefully remove the upper steering column trim.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors for the air bag spiral spring unit and the horn.
- Turn the steering wheel until the wheels are facing forward and center the steering wheel.
- Remove the steering wheel mounting fastener.
- Use a suitable chisel to mark the position of the steering wheel to the splined steering shaft and remove the wheel.
- Remove the electrical connectors, then the combination switch retaining screws. Carefully remove the switch from the steering column.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- Install the combination switch and connect the wiring.
- Align the marks made for the steering wheel-to-column position and install the steering wheel. Replace and tighten the fastener to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm).
- On Audi models, using new fasteners, install the air bag and tighten the fasteners to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- On Passat models press the air bag unit inward until both lugs lock over the spring clips.