A restrictive, dirty air cleaner filter will cause a reduction in fuel economy and performance and an increase in emissions production and engine wear. The air filter element should be replaced according to the maintenance interval chart in this section, or more often in dusty conditions.
Removal & Installation
Passat GLS/GLX & Audi A4 Models
The air cleaner element is located within the airbox, on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It is not necessary to disconnect any wiring or hoses from the airbox in order to remove the air cleaner element.
- Starting with the clip that is most difficult to reach, disengage all of the clips that secure the upper portion of the airbox to the lower portion.
- Lift the upper portion of the airbox, and remove the filter element. Be careful when lifting the upper portion of the element; excessive force may damage vacuum and electrical connections.
- Using a clean rag, wipe any accumulated dirt and dust from the inside of the lower portion of the airbox.
- On 1.8L Turbo engines, if necessary remove the screen in the lower air box and clean,
- Carefully install the new filter element into the lower portion of the airbox. Make sure to install it in the proper direction (open pleats face downward).
- Starting with the clip that is the most difficult to reach, secure the clips around the perimeter of the airbox.