The door alignment within the door opening in the body shell is adjusted my loosening the hinge bolts and moving the door as necessary. The door closure is adjusted by moving the latch pin or bracket.
The door hinges should be adjusted such that;
- The door shell is level with the lower door jamb.
- On front doors, the forward edge of the door is even with, or slightly recessed, not to exceed 0.040 inches (1mm), relative to the rear portion of the front fender.
- On rear doors, the forward edge of the door is even with, or slightly recessed, not to exceed 0.040 inches (1mm), relative to the rear edge of the front doors, which can be accomplished by moving the hinges of the rear door or, by moving the striker pin or bracket of the front door if the front door closure is properly adjusted.
The closure of the doors is accomplished by moving the latch pin or bracket on the door pillar. The latch brackets are secured by 2 fasteners that are loosened to allow the bracket to be moved. The latch pin is adjusted by turning it counterclockwise to loosen it, moving it to the desired position and then tightening it. Use either a thin wall deep well socket or a boxed end wrench to loosen or tighten it.
- Adjust the closure of the doors by loosening and moving the latch pin or bracket on the door pillar such that;
- On front doors, with the door closed, the rear edge of the door is slightly above the leading edge of the rear door, not to exceed 0.040 inch (1mm). Note, if the door has a tendency to rattle over bumps, check and adjust the height of the latch pin or bracket as necessary.
- On rear doors, with the door closed, the rear edge of the door is slightly above the adjoining body panel, not to exceed 0.040 inch (1mm). Note, if the door has a tendency to rattle over bumps, check and adjust the height of the latch pin or bracket as necessary.
On Audi A4 models the upper door window frame can be adjusted with the help of an assistant as follows;
- Remove the door panel.
- Loosen the 2 rear and the upper front fasteners that secure the window frame to the vehicle just enough the window frame can be moved, but tight enough to hold its position. Loosen the front lower fastener such that it is just touching the door shell.
- Have the assistant sit in the vehicle and firmly press upward on the upper window frame toward the roof and the A-pillar, while, from the outside the fit of the window carrier is observed, making sure it is properly seated, then have the assistant slide the graduated wedge as necessary to retain the position.
- Open the door and tighten the window carrier-to-door shell mounting bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Close the door and recheck the adjustment. If necessary, repeat the adjustment procedures to attain the proper adjustment.
- Once the adjustment is completed, reinstall the door panel.