Always wear eye protection and protective gloves when removing or working with mirror glass.
- Apply protective tape around the upper and lower edges of the mirror housing to protect the finish.
- Grasp the mirror firmly on the top and bottom of the mirror around the mirror housing.
- Carefully squeeze the upper portion of the mirror causing it to pivot to its stop.
- Using a suitable wide face, hard plastic prytool, or a sturdy 2 inch (50mm) paint or gasket scraper wrapped in protective tape, carefully pry the bottom center of the mirror upward until it releases from the bottom fastening lugs, then carefully pry at the top center of the mirror until the upper lugs release. If the mirror is heated, use a long needle nose pliers to carefully wiggle the electrical connectors off the back of the mirror.
- Seat the mirror onto the mirror base and carefully squeeze the top center and bottom center of the mirror until it snaps in place.
Removal & Installation
The outside mirror housing car be removed separately from the mirror assembly on 1998-00 Passat models and A4 models.
- Remove the mirror glass.
- Remove the 2 self-tapping screws from the bottom of the mirror housing.
- Release the catches on the bottom mirror housing trim and remove the trim downward.
- Lift the upper housing upward away from the base.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal.