The factory-installed sunroof has a frame assembly that is installed to the underside of the roof. When the sunroof is opened, the exposed frame area should be kept clean and free of debris, leaves and/or pine needles. If necessary vacuum the area periodically to keep it clean. The frame also serves as drainage channel for water as it seeps past the sunroof seals. A drainage tube is attached to each of the 4 corners of the sunroof frame, routed through the roof pillar and exits in the lower wheel well or underbody area. If the sunroof appears to be leaking, check the drains to make sure they are clear and attached.
To check the drains of a factory installed sunroof, fully open the sunroof. Fill a small cup with clean tap water and pour the contents into each of the 4 corners where the drain hose openings are visible. The water should flow from the wheel well area associated with the location of each of the drain hoses. If the water does not flow from the drain hose, locate the opening in the sunroof frame and the end of the hose and make sure both the hose and the opening are cleared of any debris.
Twice a year, with the sunroof fully opened, wipe the guide rails clean with a dry cloth, then dampen a smooth clean cloth with a light oil such as Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and apply a light film of oil to the sliding surfaces of the sunroof assembly.Emergency Closure Operation
The sunroof features an emergency closure mechanism built into the motor, should the motor fail to operate.
- To close the sunroof, turn the ignition key OFF and remove the key from the ignition lock, then remove the trim panel located just below the motor.
- Remove the Z-shaped hex closure tool from inside the trim panel.
- Insert the tool into the motor and carefully and slowly crank the sunroof closed. Some resistance will be felt while cranking the sunroof closed. If while attempting to close the sunroof, the tool cannot be cranked, the cables may have jumped time. If this occurs, remove the sunroof motor mounting fasteners and carefully lower the motor until it is clear of the cables, then reinstall the motor making sure it does not require excessive force. If necessary pivot the motor assembly side to side while attempting to mesh the drive gear with the cables until the motor engages smoothly. Reinstall the mounting fasteners with a light coating of a locking agent and tighten evenly and close the sunroof with the closure tool.
- Slide the inside headliner back.
- Open the sunroof to the tilt mode, such that the rear of the sunroof is tilted upward.
- Remove the trim panel on the inside lower sides of the sunroof panel toward the center of the vehicle.
- Remove the 3 Torx® fasteners on each side, then remove the panel.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- Install the sunroof with the fasteners lightly tightened.
- Position the sunroof panel such that the front edge is level with or less than 1 / 32 inch (1mm) below the roof.
- Position the rear of the sunroof panel such that the rear edge is level with or less than 1 / 32 inch (1mm) above the roof.
- Tighten the sunroof panel fasteners to 40-44 inch lbs. (4.5-5.0 Nm).