The fuel sender is located in the fuel tank. A large plastic lock ring must be loosened and removed on all models, before sender is removed. It may be necessary to remove the lock ring using Tool No. 3217.
On Audi A4 models and 1998-00 Passat models the fuel sender is attached to the fuel pump which secured into a mounting bracket the fuel tank. The fuel pump must be rotated approximately 15° counterclockwise to remove. It may be necessary to remove the fuel pump on these models using Tool No. 3307.
- The sending unit is accessed by removing bottom trunk trim cover, then removing the access panel. On models with folding down rear seats, the rear seats can be folded down to allow additional access.
- Disconnect the wiring.
- Label and disconnect the fuel lines.
- Unscrew the locking ring turning it counterclockwise using Tool No. 3217 if necessary.
- On 1990-97 Passat models, lift the sending unit and transfer pump straight out.
- On A4 and 1998-00 Passat models, turn the fuel pump assembly 15° counterclockwise to release the fuel pump. If necessary use Tool No. 3307 to release, and upon assembly, to install the fuel pump.
- Before installing the unit, check the condition of the O-ring and if OK, coat lightly with fuel, otherwise replace it if necessary.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEThe fuel tank must be no more than 3 / 4 full when removing the fuel delivery unit.
- Remove the rear seat.
- Unclip the sealing flange cover.
- Disconnect the wiring harness connector.
- Disconnect the fuel delivery and return lines.
- Remove the locking ring and remove the fuel delivery unit.
- Install the fuel delivery unit and tighten the locking ring.
- Connect the fuel lines and harness connector.
- Replace the sealing flange cover.
- Install the rear seat.
- Add fuel if necessary.
- Connect the negative battery cable.