- Remove the fuel pump, and then remove the fuel level sensor attached to the pump assembly.
- Temporarily reconnect the electrical connectors for the fuel level sensor.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but Do NOT attempt to start the engine.
- Move the sensor float up and down while observing the fuel level gauge. The gauge should move as the float is moved.
The actual float resistance can be checked using an ohmmeter.
Sensor resistance is as follows, based on fuel level in tank:
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Remove the fuel delivery unit.
- Measure resistance between terminals 2 and 3 while moving the float arm. Specifications are approximately 50 ohms at the upper stop, and approximately 290 ohms at the lower stop.