Removal & Installation
- Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the keys
- Release the fuel system pressure. See 'Relieving Fuel System Pressure'
- Remove or disconnect the following:
- Installation is the reverse order of the removal procedure. Note the following:
- Always replace the gasket (below the lower insert) before the fuel injectors are installed.
- Before the upper insert is installed, clean the threads and apply a light coat of thread-lock compound.
- Remove the engine cover
- Remove the air intake hose between the mass airflow sensor and intake air elbow
- Remove all harness connectors to injectors
- Disconnect vacuum hose from fuel pressure regulator
- Expose wires at fuel rail
- Unscrew fuel rail from intake manifold (arrows)
- Disengage retaining clip and remove the injector
- Installation is in reverse order of removal, noting the following:
- Remove the O-rings from all opened connections. NEVER remove the plastic cap from valve head to replace front O-ring; pry the O-ring off over the plastic cap.
- Lightly lubricate the O-ring with clean engine oil.
- Make sure all the injectors are in place and seated correctly.
- Check the clip to ensure an unobstructed fitting on injector.
- Place the fuel rail with injectors into the intake manifold, and apply uniform pressure to press it in.
1.8L, 2.0L, 2.8L (V6 & Vr6)
Fuel Injector Electrical Diagnosis And Activation
- Obtain the following special tools and equipment:
- Verify that the engine speed sensor and fuel pump are operational.
- Remove all components necessary for access to the fuel injectors.
- Using the scan tool, run the 'Diagnostic Test' mode for actuating the fuel injectors.
- If one or more injectors Do NOT click, perform the following tests:
- Disconnect the 5-pin harness connector from ignition coil.
- Disconnect the harness connectors (1) from all injectors (2).
- Connect the VAG 1527B LED voltage connector terminals for cylinder/fuel injector, using the adapter cables from VW1594 connector test kit.
- Operate the starter and check voltage supply for cylinder No. 1 fuel injector.
- The LED must flicker.
- Repeat the test for all remaining injectors.
- Turn the ignition switch off.
- Connect the VAG1527B LED voltage tester to cylinder No. 1 harness connector terminal No. 1 and ground.
- Operate the starter.
- The LED must light.
- If the LED does not light, switch the ignition OFF and check the wire between the 2-pin connector terminal No. 1 and the fuel pump relay for an open circuit. The specified value is 1.5 ohms (maximum).
- Connect the VAG 1598/22 test box to ECM harness connector.
- Check the wiring for open circuits between the ECM/test box and each fuel injector.
- Check the wiring for short circuits between all circuit wires and connector terminals.
- Check the wiring between connector terminal No. 1 of all injectors and ground for open circuit.
- To check for fuel injector resistance perform the following:
- Remove the harness connector from each injector.
- With a DVOM, check the resistance at each fuel injector. Specified resistance is 13.5-15.5 ohms.
- If the injector is not within specification, replace the injector.
- Remove all components necessary in order to remove the fuel rail and attached injectors.
- Remove the injector rail and injectors as an assembly. Support this assembly out of the way above the manifold.
- Conduct an output Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM), actuating the No. 1 cylinder fuel injector. The fuel pump must be running.
- Visually check fuel injector for leaks. A maximum of 1 to 2 drops per minute per injector.
- If leak exceeds allowed amount, switch the ignition key OFF and replace the injector.