Removal & Installation
Some models covered by this manual may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS. Handling of the SRS components requires extreme care. Special tools are also required. If in doubt, see a qualified service technician to ensure proper removal and installation of air bag system components.
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the SRS air bag, steering wheel and column switch assemblies. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Steering Wheel, Turn Signal/Hi-Low Beam/Wiper Switch Removal and Installation.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
- Insert a small screwdriver or a length of steel wire about 1 / 16 inch (2mm) in diameter into the slot next to the bottom ignition key slot and press down fully and remove the lock cylinder by pulling on the ignition key.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- The ignition switch must be in the ON position before installing the lock cylinder.
- Press the lock cylinder with the key installed all the way into the steering lock housing, pressing firmly until the catch can be heard to snap into position.