Removal & Installation
Some models covered by this manual may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS. Handling of the SRS components requires extreme care. Special tools are also required. If in doubt, see a qualified service technician to ensure proper removal and installation of air bag system components.
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the SRS air bag, steering wheel and column switch assemblies. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Steering Wheel, Turn Signal/Hi-Low Beam/Wiper Switch Removal and Installation.
- Disconnect the electrical connector from the switch assembly.
- Using a small flat blade screwdriver, remove the paint from the slots and surrounding area of the mounting screws in the switch housing.
- Making sure the flat blade screwdriver is fully seated, loosen the screws and remove the ignition switch from the lock housing.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- Make sure the ignition switch and lock housing are in the same position before installing the switch.
- Once the switch screws are tightened, apply a coating of locking paint over the screw heads.