Removal & Installation
Turn Signal/Hi-Low Beam/Wiper Switch
Some models covered by this manual may be equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS. Handling of the SRS components requires extreme care. Special tools are also required. If in doubt, see a qualified service technician to ensure proper removal and installation of air bag system components.
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the SRS air bag assembly. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Steering Wheel, Removal and Installation.
- Adjust the steering column fully out and fully down.
- Remove the Phillips screws from the lower steering column cover.
- Carefully remove the upper steering column cover.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors from the spiral spring for the horn and SRS air bag inside the column cover.
- Center and remove the steering wheel. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): Steering Wheel, Removal and Installation.
- Loosen and if necessary remove the hex head fastener for the clamp securing the switches to the steering column.
- Remove the release handle fasteners and remove the release handle lever.
- Carefully slide the steering column switches up the column about 5 / 8 inch (15mm) and pry off their electrical connectors.
- Slide the switches up the steering column along with the lower trim cover, taking care to clear the adjustment lever.
- To separate the switches remove the fasteners from the front of the lower column cover and the fastener on the backside of the turn signal switch.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- When installing the switch/lower cover assembly, make sure to have at least an 1 / 8 inch (3mm) gap between the column cover and the steering wheel. If necessary position the switches to achieve a suitable gap.