If the rear bearing housing (knuckle) is to be replaced, the hub must pressed out of the housing and the wheel bearing replaced.
Removal & Installation
All Wheel Drive (AWD) Vehicles
- Note the radio security code and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the center wheel trim.
- Loosen, then remove the halfshaft retaining bolt.
- Slightly loosen the rear wheels.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel.
- Remove the ABS wheel speed sensor from the wheel bearing housing.
- Remove the nut for the stabilizer bar connecting link to the wheel bearing housing.
- Separate the track rod from the wheel bearing housing.
- Remove the caliper mounting bolts and suspend the caliper from the body.
- Remove the brake rotor.
- Matchmark the position of the eccentric washer for the lower control arm-to-wheel bearing housing bolt and remove.
- Remove the wheel bearing housing-to-upper control arm mounting bolt.
- Remove the halfshaft from the wheel bearing housing and remove the housing.
- Install the halfshaft to the wheel bearing housing and hand-tighten a new retaining bolt.
The bolted connections between the wheel bearing housing and the suspension must only be tightened with the vehicle on the ground. Otherwise the bonded rubber bushings will be subjected to a torsional stress resulting in premature failure.
- Install the upper control arms to the wheel bearing housing and tighten the attaching bolt in 2 steps to:
- Attach the lower control arm to the wheel bearing housing, then align the matchmarks and tighten the bolt to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
Step 1: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)Step 2: 90° ( 1 / 4 turn)
The brake caliper-to-bearing housing bolts could either be a socket-head bolt or a ribbed bolt. The socket head bolts were used until their supply was extinguished, at which time only the ribbed bolts were available as replacements.
- Install the brake rotor and caliper, and tighten the caliper bracket mounting bolts as follows:
- Brake caliper bracket-to-bearing housing:
- Attach the track rod to the wheel bearing housing and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
- Install the sway bar connecting link to the wheel bearing housing and, using new fasteners, tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Install the ABS wheel speed sensor.
- Install the wheel assembly and tighten the wheel lugs by hand.
- Lower the vehicle, and tighten the wheel lug bolts in a 3-step crisscross pattern to 89 ft. lbs. (120 Nm).
- Using a new M14 bolt, tighten the flanged halfshaft retaining bolt in 2 steps to:
- Using a new M16 bolt, tighten this halfshaft bolt in 2 steps to:
- The balance of the installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- Connect the negative battery cable then reset the following electrical components:
- Enter the anti-theft code for the radio.
- Operate each window fully closed, fully open and fully closed again and hold the window switch in the closed position for at least one full second to activate the 1-touch function.
- Set the clock to the correct time.
- Check the wheel alignment, if necessary, adjust.
Socket-head bolts: 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm)Ribbed bolts: 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm)
Step 1: 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm)Step 2: 180° ( 1 / 2 turn)
Step 1: 140 ft. lbs. (190 Nm)Step 2: 180° ( 1 / 2 turn)