Removal & Installation
- Make sure the wipers are in the park position and the ignition switch is OFF before removing the wiper arms.
- Carefully remove the wiper arm mounting nut cover off the base of the wiper arm. Matchmark the wiper arm and spindle position of the arm to return it to the original position.
- Loosen and remove the nut, then press down on the wiper arm several times to release it from its mounting spindle.
- Hold the arm onto the spindle and lift the arm upward until it locks. Then carefully lift the wiper arm and blade assembly off the wiper pivot.
- If the wiper arms are being installed for the first time, or the wiper motor, linkage or related components have been replaced;
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
- Turn the wiper motor ON and allow the wiper motor to operate BEFORE installing the wiper arm/blades, then turn the wiper motor OFF, making sure the system is in the parked position.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF.
- Install the arm on the shaft, aligning the matchmarks made during disassembly and press down on the wiper arm until it is fully seated. Install the mounting nut and cover.
- Start the engine and allow it to idle with all electrical accessories off.
- Wet the windshield with water and operate the wipers at full speed. If the wiper blades contact the windshield trim, loosen the mounting nut and reposition as necessary. If small adjustments when attempting to reposition the wiper arm are not possible, loosen the wiper arm fastener 1-1 1 / 2 turns and press down on the wiper arm to loosen the pivot. With the wiper mounting nut loosened, pivot the wiper arm back an forth several times before repositioning, and then tighten the mounting nut.
- If the wipers chatter when operated on a dampened windshield, check the wiper blade to windshield alignment. Make sure the wiper blades are in good working order and replace if necessary. To check;
- The ignition ON but do not start the engine.
- Operate the wipers a their slowest speed.
- When the wipers are pointing straight up, turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the ignition key.
- Move the wiper arm slightly, side-to-side and inspect the angle of the blade's contact with the windshield. At rest the blade should be 90° to the surface of the windshield. When the wiper arm is moved side-to-side slightly, the blade's contact angle should be equal in both directions. If an adjustment is needed, wrap masking or electrical tape around the wiper arm about 4 inches (280mm) from the wiper blade pivot. Then wrap a sturdy rag tightly around the tape. Using a suitable pliers, such as a gooseneck pliers or locking pliers grasp the wiper arm firmly and bend the arm as necessary to achieve the proper angle. Wet the windshield and check the operation. If chatter still exists, bend the wiper arm slightly more in the direction that the chatter occurs and recheck.
Removal & Installation
- Return the wipers to the parked position and remove the fuse. Remove the wiper arms. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- On models with the underhood Engine Control Module (ECM) housing located near the left wiper pivot;
- Remove the housing cover.
- Remove the housing assembly mounting nuts, lift the housing assembly upward from the rubber mounts and then move the entire assembly forward.
- Remove the air cowl grille cover.
- Loosen and remove the wiper arm shaft nuts. Remove the linkage mounting fasteners and disconnect the wiring plug.
- Pull the linkage assembly down on the right and rotate the linkage out of the cowl.
- Pull of the linkage rods from the motor crank. Remove the motor crank nut and pull off the crank. Remove the 3 mounting bolts and remove the motor.
- Connect the wiper motor to the electrical plug and actuate the motor to return the motor to the parked position, if necessary. Install the motor on the linkage and press on the crank arm. The arm should make a straight line with the drive linkage while in the parked position. Install the nut on the motor shaft. Press on the linkage arms.
- Installation is in reverse order of removal noting the following:
- Cycle the wiper motor to park and install the wiper arms. Close the hood and check the operation of the wipers and adjust as necessary.