Secure the steering wheel utilizing a strap to prevent rotation. Locking of the steering column will prevent damage and a possible malfunction of the SIR system. The steering wheel must be secured in position before disconnecting the steering column, intermediate shaft or steering gear.
After disconnecting these components, do not move the front tires and wheels. Failure to follow these procedures may cause improper alignment of some components during installation and result in possible damage to the SIR coil.
- Turn the front wheels to the straight forward position and secure the steering wheel from moving.
- Disengage the rack and pinion outer tie rod ends from the steering knuckles.
- Remove the intermediate steering shaft lower bolt at the steering gear and discard it.
- Disconnect the intermediate steering shaft from the steering gear.
- Remove the transmission rear mount bolt.
Remove the steering gear bolts, nuts, and washers from the steering gear.
NOTEThe position of the steering gear will need to be manipulated to remove it through the left front wheel opening.
- Remove the steering gear through the left front wheel opening.
- Install the steering gear through the left front wheel opening.
- Start all of the bolts and nuts by hand before finalizing any torques.
- Install the steering gear bolts, nuts, and washers to the steering gear. Tighten the bolts and nuts to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm) plus an additional 90 degrees.
- Install the transmission rear mount bolt. Tighten to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Connect the intermediate steering shaft to the steering column. Install a NEW bolt and tighten to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm) for models with electronic steering or 46 ft. lbs. (62 Nm) for models with hydraulic steering.
- Connect the intermediate steering shaft to the steering gear. Tighten a new bolt to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Install the rack and pinion outer tie rod ends to the steering knuckles.
- Adjust the front toe.